No bread is an island

...entire of itself. (With apologies to John Donne!)
I live and breathe breadmaking. I’m an evangelist who would like everyone to make his or her own bread. I want to demystify breadmaking and show it as the easy everyday craft that it is. To this end I endeavour to make my recipes as simple and as foolproof as I possibly can.

I call my blog 'No bread is an island' because every bread is connected to another bread. So a spicy fruit bun with a cross on top is a hot cross bun. This fruit dough will also make a fruit loaf - or Chelsea buns or a Swedish tea ring...
I'm also a vegan, so I have lots of vegan recipes on here - and I'm adding more all the time.

Thursday 3 April 2014

5:2, or INTERMITTENT FASTING - some hints and tips


5:2: if you’re doing it for weight loss means no snacking – ever!

If you want a treat – and who doesn’t, now and again – incorporate it into your meal. If you do have to have something, a biscuit, say, then look at it before each mouthful and make a conscious decision whether or not you need it. 

(BTW, the only safe way I’ve found to eat a biscuit is to take one (that’s 1!) out of the packet on your way out of the house. Then don’t start eating it until you’re halfway down the road.)

Other techniques I’ve found useful:
Use smaller plates for your evening meal
Put less on your fork and eat each mouthful slowly, savouring the flavours.
It takes roughly 20 minutes for your body to recognise that it has eaten – so, if you feel like a second helping, put a timer on for 20 minutes. If you still want something, then go ahead, but at least you’ve thought about it.
After the evening meal, announce in a loud voice that, ”The kitchen is closed!” And mean it!
If you do succumb to the lure of the leftover curry on the hob late in the evening, tell yourself, “Ah, well, that’s breakfast sorted! I’ve just had it a bit early.”
But before you get to that stage, set the kitchen timer for 20 minutes – or drink a pint of water – or go and do some exercise.

Wine. I’ve reduced the amount of wine I drink by about a half. I only know this because, whereas I used to make 20gals of wine a year, now I only make 10 gallons.

I used to drink half a tumbler of red with my evening meals, but noticed on a couple of occasions that the wine was disappearing without me even noticing! J So I reduced the amount I put in the glass and tried to appreciate every mouthful. It didn’t happen overnight, but eventually I found I could enjoy as little as 50ml with dinner. Not every night, sometimes I have double that, but often, when I do, I still have a centimetre or so of wine left after I’ve finished eating.

On FDs I don’t have any alcohol, instead, with my meal I have the same tumbler filled with iced water. The ritual and the unfamiliarity of the iced water seems to satisfy the need for a drink whilst I’m eating. I’ve tried this on ‘normal’ days – with limited success, I have to say!

Mumsnet has had a thread, 'Tips and links for those practicing IF'. Well worth a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment